Character Creation for Black Bowery uses the character creation rules from Mind’s Eye Theatre: Vampire the Requiem, which in turn is based on Mind’s Eye Theatre: World of Darkness, both of which are available from White Wolf (the character creation rules themselves are identical to those found in the tabletop versions of these games, and either can be used to make a character.) Character Creation can occur in one of three ways.
- Use a pre-generated character. At each game there will be pre-generated characters available. This allows you to choose a character quickly without previous knowledge of the game, and immediately start playing. Your pre-generated character becomes yours (you choose their Name, Virtue, Vice, Covenant, and other details of role playing), and you may either keep them as written and continue using them, or else you may alter them to your liking before your second game.
- Attend a character creation workshop. Periodically we will have character creation workshops for new players. By attending one of these workshops you can create characters with help from the storytellers. This method has the advantages of being able to work your character into the story’s background, as well as creating a character with fellow players and thus having pre-existing ties to their characters.
- Create your own character. Using the Vampire: The Requiem rules you can create your own character from scratch. Once this character is approved by Storytelling staff you can use it in all Black Bowery games.
Once your character is created, follow the following steps to register the character with storytelling staff.
- Create an Obsidian Portal account (we recommend your user name be the same as your character name, but you may choose whichever ID you wish). If you joined at a game or a character creation workshop, Storytelling staff will do this for you.
- Copy the character template from below, and e-mail it to the storytelling staff at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you created your character at a character creation workshop you can skip this step, as the storytellers will have set up your character page there. DO NOT create a page under the “Characters” tab. Storytellers will do this for you.
- Storytellers will create a character page for you under the Characters tab. They will transfer ownership of the character to your Obsidian Portal ID. Your character stats will be on the page, but will only be visible to you and the Storytellers.
- You may then edit your character page as you wish, with any public information you wish. As a courtesy, please do not edit other characters pages, and please do not change any of your character’s stats. Storyteller staff will edit your character stats as they are altered through game or XP expenditure.
Characters cannot begin as part of a Bloodline, although Bloodlines can be entered after play begins. Characters technically begin with 0 dots of City Status, but at the beginning of their first game they will be acknowledged by the Prince and granted their first dot of City Status for free. Characters must purchase dots in Covenant or Clan status, and can buy no more than two dots of each without permission.
All merits, disciplines, etc. listed in official White Wolf books for the Vampire: The Requiem line or the core World of Darkness line are available for characters (though Storytellers can overrule this if they feel it appropriate). Merits and abilities from other White Wolf books may be allowed with Storyteller permission.
Copy and fill out the following template, and e-mail it to the Storytellers at email@example.com with the subject line “New Character”
Obsidian Portal ID: